Monday, November 14, 2016

My Offering to God

I would like to say that these have been the best and greatest two years of my life. But, as I look back on the many experiences which i faced as a full time missionary in Nicaragua, I see much pain, sadness, and hardship. Times when my faith was tested to its limits. But i can remember with tears in my eyes, the sweet comfort and peace which my Father in Heaven blessed me with. Maybe I wasn't the greatest and hardest working, or the most obedient, or the most spiritual, but I came to know God the Eternal Father and His Son Jesus Christ in the most profound ways. Words cannot describe those experiences.

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

I believe that young men and young women are not sent on missions to simply grow up, or share the gospel, I believe, through my own personal experience, that we are sent on missions to get to know Our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ, Our Savior. I have felt the same sorrow and disappointment of disobedient investigators and converts. I have found myself many a time on my knees with tears of anger and deception running down my cheeks. I have been lied to, cast out, mocked, and persecuted. I think, like Elder Jeffrey Holland once spoke, that we are to experience, if only a little, the pain and sorrow that Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ experienced in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross of Calvary. That as we experience these trials and difficulties that come to shake our faith, that we stand shoulder to shoulder with the best life this world has ever known. I echo those words now. Maybe these weren't the best two years of my life or the happiest, or the easiest, but they sure were the most important.

But, of course, the mission did have its moments. I see before me every person I have ever taught, some of the humblest people on the face of the Earth, and my heart is filled with so much love and compassion towards them. I felt like a father who watches his children born, watches as they learn and grow, crawling, walking, running, jumping, reading, writing, spelling, typing. I have felt the joy of taking them by the hand and walking them through Gods Plan of Salvation, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, His commandments. I have felt the joy of seeing them enter the water of baptism and make covenants with their Heavenly Father. I have seen the blessings which have come to their lives because of their faith. I have felt the Holy Spirit enter into their hearts and change their lives.

Is it our purpose and is it the plan of God that we learn a little in this life of what its like to be Him? As I ponder on all the experiences of these last two years I see the reflection of a Loving Heavenly Father who would go to any lengths to see His children happy, Joyful, and Exalted.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

I know that this is only the beginning of a new life. With new goals and new purposes. I know that Christ and His love has changed me, softened me, humbled me. I know that there is nothing comparable with His love. I know that I have served Him not just to fulfill a commandment but to bring that same love and that same joy of redemption to all His children. I pray that Heavenly Father accepts my offering and pray that I was able to make a difference in someones life.

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39

Finally, I bear my testimony of the Resurrected and Glorified Christ. I know that He lives. I know that His Gospel is true. I know that the Book of Mormon is the Word of God given to ancient prophets in the Americas. I know that Joseph Smith is the Prophet of the Restoration, there is no doubt in my mind that he was called of God through Divine Prophecy. I know that Thomas S. Monson is also a true prophet of God given to us in these days to guide us on the straight and narrow path. I know that families can be together forever through God´s Holy Priesthood. I know that we are all children of a Loving Heavenly Father who has provided a plan and a purpose for us. I know we can become like Him. Of all these things I testify, having been called and set apart as an ambassador of the Lord Jesus Christ for the last 2 years, in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Alejandro Ochoa Lim
Misión Nicaragua Managua Sur
November 2014-November 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment